This morning I was invited to rounds, as they were discussing Kyle's case, the resident, Dr. Swoboda, asked if I'd been told the results of the bone marrow aspirate and biopsy, when I said, "No". The doctor said, "There are no leukemia cells in his bone marrow. But he does have myelodysplasia (MDS) which is a bone marrow issue and can be pre-leukemia, so we will need to follow him closely."
So the up-shot is that they will watch him, and they are doing some more tests on the bone marrow and will have the rest of those on Monday.
Jon is home -- on his way to the hospital right now....then we'll see the doctors this afternoon to discuss what treatments will be.
"Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) is a term for a collection of diseases that involves the improper function of the bone marrow. It occurs when blood cells die in the marrow, resulting in anemia and other issues surrounding the blood. In many cases, people with MDS develop a form of leukemia.
•MDS usually occurs in people older than 60 years old. The most common symptoms are anemia, bruising and bleeding. Most deaths result from blood loss or infection. Symptoms begin gradually, sometimes over years, but become more aggressive toward the end of life.
•Blood screenings and bone marrow analysis are used to determine whether someone has MDS. The condition is similar to diseases such as standard anemia or leukopenia.
Treatment of Myelodysplasia Disease
•Treatments designed to encourage red blood cell growth are used in MDS. Blood transfusions and medications designed to stimulate blood cell growth and maturity may be used. There is hope that stem cell transplants will help those with MDS as it is further researched.
Prognosis For People With Myelodysplasia Disease
•About one third of the people suffering from MDS develop acute myelogenous leukemia, a very difficult cancer to treat. "
So, now you know as much as I do about myelodysplasia......I'm sure I'll be posting everything you didn't want to know about this condition, and the treatment....but thank you for indulging me....
Life is good! The sun is still out....Kyle's watching "McLintock" again.....and at some point Scott and Sunny will actually get Jon here!
Thanks for all the prayers! Love you all!
How To Harvest Squash Blossoms
2 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment