Thursday, October 28, 2010

More Medical Adventures

It's 12:45 a.m. on THursday, 28 October 2010 -- Kyle and I are sitting in his room at Children's hospital watching "McLintock".  He is working on eating some white bread, and drinking water.  He has a bag of IV fluids hooked up, and blood coming.  He will be receiving a blood tranfusion tonight.

How did we come to this place you may ask.....and ieven if you aren't asking, I'm going to tell you. 

Kyle has not been bouncing back from tghis surgery very well.  He has been so tired and lethargic.  I've attributed that to pain.  When he stopped sleeping at night, I got worried.  Then I noticed that his legs were twitching very violentely at night, and his hands were trembling.  So, I called the surgeon.  They asked me to bring Kyle to the clinic.

Scott, Kyle and I came down to Children's at 1:30 p.m. today, were seen in clinic, and while I was stressing about trtaffic....and how bad it would be crossing the bridge to go home, Kyle was having x-rays and blood tests.  When we were seen, after the tests, the NP said that his hematocrit was very low -- that if he were on neurosurgery sevice they would transfuse at 20 -- so she sent us down to the ER.

Funny -- we had the same nurse as we had two weeks ago.  She started an IV line, and took a bunch of blood.  The Hematology?Oncology resident came in. 

They are very concerned because hall three cell lines on his blood tests are low!  His red blood cell count should be between 37 and 49 -- it is 19.  White blood cell count should be between 5,000 and 12,000 and his is between 1 and 2 thousand.  His Platelets should be between150,000 and 450,000 and his are around 90,000.All these are flags for leukemia. 

Later today -- around 11:50 a.m. they will sedate Kyle and do a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) and a bone marrow aspirate and biopsy.  We will have the resluts a few hours later.  Of course, there is the possibility of a virus....but really, they don't think that's what it is. 

I ask myself, what did I miss?  How could I know?  And how much does this tough young man have to go through? 

And then, I am thankful for the wonders of medicine,and the possibilities. 

And then, I remember that God is a God of miracles!  I remember that we are never really alone.  I remember the power of prayer.  And if not to take away trials, to bring comfort and peace.   I rmember that I have friends and family who exercise their faith in our behalf, and I remember that we are loved and that God is at the helm, and we will be lifted and sustained -- no matter the outcome!

So we wait, and watch our movie, eat our bread and try to get some rest.  Jon is in England until around noon on Friday....and I know he is worried. 

Sorry about the typos in this post.  I had to take my contacts out....and I don't have my glasses, so I'm effectively blind tonight.    Kind of funny huh? 

Remember you are loved.  We are blessed and grateful for the blessings through the trials. 

Love you most.

No comments:

Post a Comment