May 13th -- Jon, Kyle and I headed to the airport! Kyle had been counting down to this day for 2 1/2 months. He couldn't wait to "Go see Derek". I had made a calendar, so he could see the days, and mark one off each night. One night, I came into his room, and he had marked off all the days (6 weeks worth) so that time would go faster and we could leave.
I had requested a wheel chair at the airport. Kyle is getting better, and his walking has improved, but he is still very slow....and he was nervous! Jon said, "A wheelchair? Really?" I said, "You can thank me later." And after we were moved to the front of the security line, and our gate was in the satellite terminal, which required a train ride, even Jon was thankful for the wheelchair! It would have taken us an hour to walk there.
An interesting thing.....at security, I was putting up all of our things on the belt....the TSA Agent looked at Kyle, melted, and said to me,"Can he walk thru?" He stood up, and she said, "Walk to me sweetheart." And he did, she just beamed and said, "Good job!". It never ceases to amaze me how people respond to Kyle. Even the cranky, deli lady at Fred Meyer, brightens up, smiles and talks to him.
If you look at the above pictures and the one below -- you'd think that Kyle wasn't excited to fly -- but he was excited to go and he was nervous! He did very well though....it wasn't the first time he'd flown, but it's been awhile.....
This is how we traveled.....the entire way. Kyle had the window seat, I was in the middle, and Jon on the aisle. Kyle held my left hand in his left hand and held Jon's left hand with his right hand.
We traveled home the same way.
When we landed, Kyle raised his arms and said, "Woohoo! We did it! Bob (good job)!"





No comments:
Post a Comment