Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mukilteo Light


Dad, Jon, Kyle and I went to visit the Mukilteo Lighthouse!  It was great.  The Lighthouse was open for tours, that were given by the Mukilteo Historical Society.  It was lots of fun.

Here are a few great photo's of the lighthouse and the surrounding area.

We had a GORGEOUS day!

This is a sculpture that's in the cul-d-sac on the land side of the lighthouse.

Dad -- in front of the lighthouse (land-side) -- loved this photo, it looks almost good enough to be a postcard! 

The ferry dock, from the lighthouse -- Kyle wanted to ride the ferry -- but the line was about 2 hours long, so we just came down to see the lighthouse.

I combined a few photo's that had fun info about the light...

******************************************************
Keeper


************************************************************

Assistant Keeper


****************************************************************

Coast Guard Flag -- the Coast Guard ran the light for some years.

The light -- before electricity and automation the light had to be re-filled with oil every 3 hours.

Jon coming up the stairs.

The Keeper's house from the walk at the top of the light.

A nice lady took a photo of Jon and I at the top of the light.

The lighthouse from the water side -- the Keeper's hous is to the left, the Assistant Keeper's house (now a museum and gift shop) is to the right.


Kyle ringing the alarm bell.


Early time- line....

Kyle in the museum.

We were all looking around the museum, and Jon came in as Kyle went out onto the porch.  Kyle wanted help down the steps....Jon told him to wait on the porch.  When I went out onto the porch, not more than 2 minutes later, Kyle was gone. 

Did I panic?  Not at first.  I thought he'd be over by the retaining wall, watching the ferry leave the dock.....not there.  That's when I panicked.  I started calling, and searching.  Jon came out of the gift shop and we split up to look for the little toad.  Jon ran for the walk-on passenger area at the ferry dock.  I walked toward the bathrooms.  I wouldn't put it past Kyle to go get on the ferry.  He wanted to ride the ferry....that was the scariest part.  I thought, maybe he was down near the water, throwing rocks, so I hurried that way.  Papa stayed near the gate at the lighthouse, in case Kyle came back. 

This is where I found him.  Sitting on a bench, outside the fenced area of the lighthouse grounds....watching people and boats.  I admit that I scolded him pretty good, after I found him.  He hasn't wandered off like that for a looooong time, and I'd become complacent. 

Notwithstanding the scare -- it was a fun afternoon. 

If you haven't been to visit, come visit us -- we have lots of fun things to see and do!





No comments:

Post a Comment