Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Yard Renovations

We got rid of the evil tree....
and we consulted, Mark, from Creative Paradise,
which is a landscaping company.
 
We are going to have some extensive work done on the yard.
Extensive because they are going to have to re-do the entire
watering system in the back yard, because it is not up to code and was done poorly to boot.
 
I will be taking lots of pictures.
 
The upshot is that the work will be done in three phases...
Phase one started a few weeks ago...
Before - Front
We ended up taking up the ground cover (the ugly pale green plant in the very front)

Before -- Backyard
 
We had several tasks to complete before the construction crew comes.
We took down the satellite dishes off the patio roof -- which didn't have to be done before the yard could be done...but we got them down so we could get rid of them while we had the chance.
 
Next ....
Killing the grass.
This had to be done 2 weeks in advance.

7 gallons of round-up

mid-80's....took Jon a couple of hours to get it all sprayed.

I told Mark that I didn't want any plants that have thorns or any kind of sticker...
...so....the bougainvillea had to go.
We took out the one on the right -- it was tiny.
The crew will take out the one on the left, because it's large and overgrown.
Goodbye bougainvillea!!!

We had to take the fence and pergola down.
(which we did and I previously documented)

2 weeks later
Dead grass -- Jon did a great job!
The grass will be scooped out with a "baby" cat...and be replaced with one inch rock.

The backyard today before the work starts.

This is a "Little Jon Bottle Brush"
that will replace the ground cover in the front.
Jon and I bought this, because we weren't planning on taking out the ground cover....but we changed our minds and took it out.  We have a tiny bottle brush already.
 
When we got home from buying the bottle brush,
we found....

Our citrus trees had been delivered.
It will take a few years before they produce fruit...but they are pretty.
Left to right:  Lemon, Navel Orange, Mexican Lime

This pink oleander is going between the two established
oleander plants in the front yard.

On the curb was a bag of sand and bag of cement.
This is going to build a "curb" high barrier/fence
between us and the neighbors to the West of us.
The neighbors on the East already have one in place.
This will keep our rock from being spread out.
 
We are also having a small walk put in the front from the driveway to the gate and a small "trash pad" for the garbage cans.  These will be constructed from pavers.

This is where we went to look at the different pavers and choose the ones we want.
This is the type of tree that will replace the "evil" tree in the front yard.
It will not be this mature -- or this expensive -- but I liked the sign that described the tree.
 
These are Jon's attempt at growing tomatoes this year.
Hope they grow!
 
 
 
So tomorrow is the big day.
There will be a crew of 9 here....scooping grass and doing all the work....the job should take 2 days.
I was going to just do one post....but then we got home and the trees were here and I was sooo excited I couldn't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment