Craftsmanship...
....I have been taught a lot about craftsmanship
It was decided that an additional hand rail would be helpful on the bottom portion of the stairs.
Ten years ago when Dad had hip replacement surgery (for the second time),
the handrail was replaced and another added on the upper portion of the stairs.
Kurt told me that the rail had to match.
"Match?" I said, "Why? You won't be able to tell -- nobody will know..."
That's when I got an earful about
CRAFTSMANSHIP
and the importance of a job well done....
...and taking pride in your work....
....doing it right....
....not taking short-cuts....
....and,
YES....
having the handrails MATCH.
It was quite amusing to continue ribbing him about it.....
over and over...
...isn't that the fun of having brothers?
Here are some of the lessons I learned...
First...here is the downstairs portion that will have another hand rail.
Get out the saw....
Make exact cuts -- AND --
be sure that the cuts you make were planned out and that they are going to work,
BEFORE you make cuts on the actual materials...
Somehow, this isn't that much different than cutting fabric....
I totally understood the concept of craftsmanship.....however, it was
fun to give him a hard time.
Carefully put the pieces together.
Sand the heck out of the corners, so that they are smooth and look nice.
I actually helped with the sanding -- and enjoyed every moment.
Stain the rails -- and be sure to not have drips (oops Kurt, get out of the shot, I said, no drips)
I helped stain the rails too....
The two rails for the back porch...
...he had enough left over to replace the rail and add a second on the back steps too.
Now they all MATCH!
This is the one that will go on the main staircase.
I loved the wood grain that came out most beautifully with the stain.
I likely won't be here when the rails are put up....these have to cure,
and then need a protective top-coat which will need to cure also.
But they are about done, and the stairs will be a safer place for everyone!
Here's to craftsmanship and doing it right the first time.
Thanks Kurt!





No comments:
Post a Comment