Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Hobbies.....

December 2008 -- my friend, Loretta, started teaching me how to create wall-hangings out of fabric. I found it, amazingly, fun....this surprised me! I've always HATED sewing. In fact when my mother-in-law came to visit once (we'd been married about 4 years) she asked for a needle and thread -- I told her, "I think there's one in the junk drawer." She, being a very accomplished seamstress, was appalled and went out and bought me a package of needles and a package of small spools of thread in varying colors.....I still have the package of needles -- thanks MOM! But the thread got hopelessly tangled in the junk drawer and had to be....well....junked.

So, the fact that I could enjoy sewing and creating was a revelation to me -- and a SHOCK to Jon! About 4 months after I completed my first wall-hanging, Jon just about fainted when I brought home a sewing machine. Since then I've dabbled in wall-hangings, and easy lap-quilts -- all with straight lines!

In February, (2010) my neighbor, Marjorie, gave me a quilt pattern and told me she'd help me with it "when you're ready." A month or so later, I told her I was ready and she went with me to choose fabric for a quilt -- I decided to make Ashlyn and Jake a quilt for their wedding. I had never before attempted a quilt of that size, but with much excellent and constant coaching from Marjorie, and much prayer....I completed the quilt in April and it was ready to take to the wedding in May.

Above: Me with Ashlyn's quilt -- Below: Ashlyn's quilt laid out on the floor -- put together, but without the back or binding.
Soon afterwards, feeling extremely confidant -- I tackled a couple more quilts. I found some chicken fabric and put together this chicken quilt, which I must say turned out soooo much better than I anticipated -- I gifted it to Dad for his birthday.
At the same time I started a king-size Americana quilt for Danielle and Jake's wedding....it turned out pretty well.....
I had promised Chlesea Saunders -- that lovely niece of ours, a quilt. We didn't get it done while she was here, but I finally got it done. And I have to say, I love the colors in this quilt....they are so bold and vibrant.
Hilary and Meghan graduated from High school and were heading off to college and I wanted to do something different for them....so....you guessed it they got a quilt too!
Hilary Skinner

The soft, pastel yellow's just reminded me so much of Meghan and her sunny personality!
This "Asian" flavored one I made for Elyse and Ryan -- for their wedding. And I loved the mix of colors in this one too.

Even though each is from the same pattern -- they are all unique and different -- and the pattern is easy enough for me -- so for all of you out there....if I can do it, you can do it. I've learned that I enjoy the process as much as the finished product....and it feeds a creative side to me that I didn't know existed.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the quilts Ronna!! They are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are AWESOME Ronna!!! You are so talented. Maybe someday I'll learn how to do that. =)

    ReplyDelete