Tuesday, August 31, 2010

MRI -- August 9th

Kyle's neurological function is continuing to decline. It was decdided that anothe MRI should be obtained, to see if anything was missed, if scar tissue has built up, and to see if there is a reasonable explanation for the decline.

August 9th, we went and had the MRI and on the 10th we met with Dr. Song (ortho). The MRI is the same as the one obtained on June 9th -- and the only thing that they can see is that the spinal cord, sort of "drapes" over a "bump" (when I get the MRI disks back, I'll try to post a picture so you can see) at the front of his spine. They believe this is the culprit, and that the narrowing at C1/C2 is because of this. This will require surgical intervention. We have an appointment to meet with Dr. Song and Dr. Avellino (neuro) on September 28th -- that's the first we can see them in clinic.

Meanwhile -- Kyle continues to lose function, is in greater pain, and finding it hard to walk now. We have had so many miracles with this young man -- I'm hoping and praying for one more. The surgery they are describing, is big, it requires entering through his mouth and the space is small, the surgery delicate and risk of complication is huge due to the bacteria in the mouth. So we wait and we pray -- and we breathe in and breathe out -- and then pray some more.

I am so thankful for the power of prayer, for the knowledge that we are heard and that prayers are answered. I'm thankful for the power of the priesthood, exercised in our behalf.

And Hope -- I cling to hope, and my appreciation for my Heavenly Father increases as I realize that the very small (relative) suffering I witness in my son, is nothing compared to what He witnessed in His Son, as Christ accomplished for us what we can not do for ourselves. And I'm thankful for the knowledge that I don't witness this alone, that I have Christ who understands, lifts and carries this burden with me -- and He grants me hope and peace. No matter the outcome, I am not alone, and neither is Kyle. We are truly blessed and as this adventure progresses, sometimes at a snails pace it seems, we have each other and we are not alone for we have our Father and we have Christ. We also have so many family and friends who remember us in their prayers, who cry with us and laugh with us and feed us French fries! Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment