I got a phone call from Scott one day, saying that I was going to be so mad at him and disappointed.
What thoughts whirl through your mind when your child says that to you? I figured he hadn't been throwing rocks at the neighors, but...
I asked, "Did you quit your job?"
"No Mom." he replied.
"Did you get fired?"
"No Mom."
"Okay then, what's going on?" I asked....feeling immense relief that he still had a job.
"Well, I got a tatoo." he told me.
We talked for a bit -- and NO, I didn't yell, or get mad -- he's an adult....can make his own choices, whether I like them or not.
He and Sunny came over later that night, and I hadn't told Jon. I figured, that since Scott is a grown man, it's time he "owned" his decisions -- and I wasn't doing it for him!
Jon saw the ink, at the bottom of his shirt sleeve, and asked what it was. Scott showed him, and Jon said, "you're an idiot. What does it even mean?"
"Sigfodr"
It means ~ "Father of Victory"
and is a title used for the ancient Norse God, Oden.
Don't bother looking it up -- you'd have to have an ancient Norse dictionary -- which Scott does.
Scott survived ~ Jon recovered.
Jon is contemplating getting his own tattoo -- he'd like it to say:
"FodrSigFodr"
"Father, of the Father of Victory".
I'm thinking it's not really going to happen!





No comments:
Post a Comment