Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer Shenanigans -- Day Camp

Summer Shenanigans -- Day Camp


This year, Kyle has attended four weeks of Day Camp.

Redmond Adaptive Rec conducts day camps every summer.  Kyle is feeling so much better, is obsessed with the fire stations, so I signed him up for one week of day camp. 

The counselors at the day camps -- are the coaches at softball.  Isn't that great?  I know them, I felt comfortable with them.

The first day, I took him, he was greeted very warmly -- I kissed his cheek, took a deep breath and walked out and LEFT him.  It's always so hard for me to leave him for new adventures.  The issue is mine.  Not his.  I took deep breaths all the way home.  Waited on pins and needles until time to go get him.  When I picked him up -- he was sooooo happy!  He talked to me all the way home.  Telling me stories and about his day (I didn't understand much - but he was talking).  It was awesome.  That's the way it was all week.  So I signed him up for the last three weeks of camp too!

Day camp goes from 9 a.m until 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

The schedule is....
Monday -- walk to the library for story time
Tuesday -- Field trip
The field trips Kyle went on were:  Pacific Science Center, Woodland Park Zoo, Bowling and The Museum of Flight
Wednesday -- walk to Dairy Queen for treats
Thursday -- Idyllwood Park which has a beach
Friday -- Pizza party

One day I dropped Kyle off and he shook my hand and said, "Goodbye."

I had someone say to me, "I'll bet you are so glad to have that time to yourself."  Not really, I love having Kyle around.  What I love, is that he is engaged, has friends, likes the counselors, and he's HAPPY!  That's what matters to me.

Counselor Chris (Christian) sent me some photos...so here they are....


Heading in...

Room 103 -- where camp meets....and where they make crafts, play games, hang out...etc.

Epic Adventures Camp

Has to have a hat everyday!  This is his new cowboy hat.

Wrestling and taking down, counselor Jeremy!

Pile on

Bunny EARS!

Bunny Ears # 2
Counselor Mike -- driving the van...


Kyle, Counselor Mike, Tommy
Tommy is in Kyle's class at school.

Counselor Mike and Kyle

At the playground

Using the water cannon at Pacific Science Center

At the Museum of Flight

At the playground -- with Counselor Chris

Counselor Trace with Kyle

Today is the last day of day camp for the summer.  School starts in 2 1/2 weeks!  He is going to miss camp and will be back to what he might've done all summer, if not for camp.

Taking movies of movies (This is El Dorado with John Wayne), so he can watch them again later.  He would've been content to do this all summer....but he would've missed so much!  So thankful we took the plunge and signed up for day camp! 


No comments:

Post a Comment