Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding

Yes, it's true, I got up at 1 a.m. to watch the Royal Wedding of Prince William to Kate Middleton.

Many will say?  What?  Why? What are they to you?  The answers.....Why?  Because I wanted to.  Are they anything to me?  I think they represent hope.  The hope that each of us has for a wonderful life.  Two young people, starting out -- alright, they are starting out, in a much different way than any of us do -- but still they are starting out.  In reality, their life will not be anything like a fairy-tale, but for a few moments, the hope of a fairy-tale seems real.  The beautiful expressions, the love glowing through their eyes as they looked at each other....the humor.  It was lovely. 

I enjoyed the sermon of the Rt Rev Richard Chartress, Bishop of London -- there was much truth spoken in his sermon.  I particularly liked the following quotes:

     "In a sense every wedding is a "Royal Wedding", with the Bride and the Groom as King and Queen of creation, making a new life togther, so that life can flow through them into the future."  I liked this, because as you contemplate what he said, I believe he was truly saying, "In a sense every wedding is a royal wedding because we are children of God."  And because we are children of God, whether acknowledged by the world or not, we are all of Royal Birth!  And as such, we have the opportunity to become Queens and Kings for eternity.....that statement holds much truth, and as you look at it, it has far reaching meaning.  Perhaps, in some sense, that's why such a spectacle appeals to so many.

     "Marriage should transform.  As husband and wife make one another their work of art.  It is possible to transform so long as we don't harbor ambition to reform, our partners.  There must be no coercion.  If the spirit is to flow each must give the other space and freedom."  I loved that -- it is possible to transform so long as we don't harbor ambition to reform....what a great distinction.  And not always easy to achieve.  And to make of another your "work of art"  -- what if you aren't good at art?  We "tranform" each other into better people, into people who make a difference.....if only in one other life. 

I enjoyed watching the wedding....and hope for the Royal Couple a long, happy, and successful marriage!

And yes, after I put Kyle on the bus -- I took a NAP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment