We heard from the neurologist, Dr. Richardson, who said that Kyle is still vitamin B12 deficient, but it's not as severe as before, his methylmalonic acid is elevated. Apparantely, a vitamin B12 blood test is NOT the best indicator of B12 deficiency.....that would be reflected in the methylmalonic acid score....Kyle's is elevated, which is consistent with the B12 test. We've increased the dose of B12 that he's getting each day, and will continue to watch and follow his progress. What I really wanted to share were some of the more amusing -- to me at least -- portions of the doctor's note.
"...has dietary abnormalities" -- I guess a diet of white bread and french fries is not sufficient.....although we do find it interesting, that since he's been on the BOOST, Kyle is not interested in eating potato chips -- Ruffles, or any other kind.
"Kyle was predominantly noncooperative with the neurologic examination today. He is predominantly nonverbal, but does respond to commands, but is sometimes slow in response time.
......muscle bulk apperas normal, although he will not remove his socks....
.....I have discussed with the family that I do believe the majority of not all of Kyle's gait abnormalities stem from his B12 deficiency. I have discussed that sometimes symptoms can worsen even months after supplementation has returned. I have expressed that sometimes it can take up to 1-2 years for recovery to occur and recovery may not be complete...."
Most of this is just information, but to me, I got a good chuckle out of the bolded sentences and phrases. Dr. Richardson, was awesome, and very kind in how he worded this....
Now watch and wait, and pray. So thankful for good doctors, close health care -- health insurance, and grateful that Jon has a job that provides for our needs.
How To Harvest Squash Blossoms
2 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment