Monday, December 21, 2009

Our Sad -- Sad -- Little Gingerbread

Here is a tale of woe and disappointment -- generally, because I am too lazy to make gingerbread, we purchase a pre-made "house" kit and put it together. This year, I saw a picture of a gingerbread lighthouse -- you could order it and it would be shipped already decorated for the resonable price of $39.95 plus tax and shipping and handling. This was tooo much for me, but it was cute, so I saved the picture and figured I could make my own pattern. The pattern was not difficult, but I thought I'd save myself the work of mixing and baking the gingerbread and bought a mix from Costco -- well the mix was for cookies and the finished product was too soft to stand....so we were going to scrap the entire mess! So much for good ideas!

Jon, being the ingenious idea man that he is, called for graham crackers. He then used the electric knife to shape the graham crackers into a facsimilie of the lighthouse pattern.
Sunny helped Jon put the smaller version together.

Scott helped by messing with Jon's phone and then the three boys decided to help by playing the Nintendo Game Cube -- Desperate times call for Desperate measures (this is what desperation over the red rings of death-ish x-box will drive you to). I, of course, took pictures and laughed over the failed attempt.....the first time is always the worst.


This is the finished product -- a graham cracker lighthouse -- next year will be better -- I saved the original pattern and will make the right kind of gingerbread next year. Good thing I know how to laugh at all my failures, and good thing that Jon has ideas to salvage those failures and he makes it fun anyway!

Happy and Merry Gingerbread to ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment