Scary!
Is one of Kyle's new ~ very intelligible ~ words.
Thursday, February 26th
I picked Kyle up at school to go to a doctor's appointment.
When we walked out of the front office,
he grabbed me in a bear-hug and started sobbing.
Kyle doesn't cry.
I have never seen him in such a state.
I asked him, "Kyle, what's the matter?"
He looked up at me and said,
"Stop it! Stop it! It hurts."
I asked him, "What hurts? Who hurt you?"
He couldn't answer me and just kept crying.
My mind immediately jumped to the worst conclusions.
I was late for the doctor's appointment, so I sent off a quick e-mail to the teacher and we left.
Kyle called Jon and cried on the phone with him.
He was upset all the way to the doctor's office.
We were seeing the specialist about his foot, but his primary doctor is in the same office, so I asked if someone could see Kyle when we were done with the foot doctor.
They got him right in.
The doctor asked Kyle, "What happened at school?"
(she is so sweet and I got an inner chuckle as she was started talking louder and louder trying to get Kyle to understand her.)
He said, "Scary. Scary."
She checked him over and saw no signs of abuse or molestation or my worst fear ~ rape.
I started breathing again.
I was able to let Jon know that Kyle was okay before he got on his plane to come home...then he wouldn't worry the entire way.
We decided that he would stay home until we found out what happened.
Kyle's teacher called me later that night and told me that Kyle was mad at her because he lost computer privileges for wandering off alone during lunch. And leaving his "buddy" Freddy.
Kyle and Freddy have the privilege of sitting wherever they want in the cafeteria and not staying with the class and the aides.
Losing his computer privilege wouldn't elicit that kind of reaction.
He might get angry, pout, stomp off and say, "Your mean."
But he wouldn't cry like that.
Jon's reaction,
Derek's reaction,
Scott's reaction,
were all the same.
Withdraw him from school.
I wanted to wait and talk with the Principal and the teacher and see if we could figure out what was going on.
Meanwhile,
A line (figurative) of those who love Kyle began to form,
so that we could storm the school and seek retribution on whoever hurt this boy.
In addition to Jon, Derek and Scott. We had Dan Aguirre (who suggested a police report), Laura Miller, Caden Miller, Laura Price, Susan and Ray Skinner....and others. It was a formidable group who would all assemble should the need arise.
We kept Kyle home on Friday, Monday and Tuesday.
We didn't get a police report, because there was no physical evidence of Kyle being abused or injured in any way.
Tuesday, Kyle and I met with Mrs. Parravano the Assistant Principal (Principal was out all week) and Mrs. Chu, Kyle's teacher.
I explained that Kyle's reaction was not consistent with losing computer time.
We discussed possibilities, and Mrs. Parravano is going to check the video camera's in the cafeteria, because he'd just been to lunch when I picked him up.
That's when Mrs. Chu said, "I think that's the day of the fight in the cafeteria."
That would explain Kyle's reaction.
He's never been around a fight that exploded with fists flying, anger, and kids yelling.
That would explain the, "Stop it! Stop it! It hurts." and "Scary" comments.
Kyle is so in tune with what others are feeling and it affects him.
I believe that is what happened.
The fight traumatized him.
Mrs. Chu asked, "Kyle will you come back to school tomorrow?"
To which Kyle replied, "YES! WhooHoo!"
So all in all,
a lot of drama, fear, and concern, over something that ended up not needing that much attention.
However ~ in my defense ~
it is our job to protect Kyle,
and I had to follow every possibility, and had to take his comments seriously.
If I hadn't and something had happened to Kyle I would be devastated!
I'm happy to report that Kyle is back in school, and happy to be there.
Next week....
SPRING BREAK!





No comments:
Post a Comment