Friday, February 28, 2014

Flying Allegiant Air

Flying Allegiant is a particular experience in "back-in-the-day" flying.
 
The tickets are relatively cheap.
They fly to smaller airports.
One of those airports is 10 minutes from my house.
 
So when I found myself in need of a quick flight to Salt Lake City -- I chose to fly Allegiant Air and fly in to Ogden.  The ticket was not terrible for a last minute flight.  The cost of checking a bag, a carry on, and priority boarding helped inflate the cost, but it was still cheaper than any other flight.
 
Jon dropped me off. 
I waited in line for 20 minutes with a host of other people -- and one agent to check the bags.  After 20 minutes it was announced that the flight for Ogden was in a different line....half the line moved....where we waited for the one agent to check the bags for Ogden.
 
Got through security -- where my utility tool (which I wasn't aware I had) was confiscated....but I escaped the strip search and whatnot, by giving up the tool.
 
The airport itself was interesting. 
The ticket counter was in one building.
Security in a separate building along with three gates.
The other four gates were in still another building.
 
As I was leaving the security area, I got a text saying the flight was delayed an hour.
I settled in to wait.
The flight came in earlier than expected and we were boarding only half an hour later than the scheduled departure.
 
We taxied to the runway and screeched to a sudden stop.
We waited.
We waited.
Twenty minutes later the announcement was made that one of the navigational screens had gone blank, so we were headed back to the gate for service.
After another half hour, we were in the air, winging our way to Ogden, Utah.
 
This is where my "back-in-the-day" comment comes in to play.
As we exited the plane,
a chain link fence separated us from those waiting for the flight to arrive.
No security restrictions here.
No jetway.
Just a ramp.
 
I followed the signs to baggage claim....and there it was...
...in the shadow of the everlasting hills....
...the front curb...
...and baggage claim!
 
We waited for the bags to be unloaded, and presently
saw them approach.

The baggage train pulled right up to the curb and the nice little man handed out the luggage.

 
It was a very different way to fly.
 
I was so thankful to Barry for picking me up and spending three hours at Smith & Edwards while he waited.
 
Jon asked, "Would you fly with them again?"
I probably would.  Sometimes the airfare is $40 one way....for the slower paced airports, and the close vicinity to our home....I probably would.


No comments:

Post a Comment