Monday, October 28, 2013

Las Vegas

Here we are in Las Vegas for the
Association of Financial Professionals (AFP) Convention.
 
We flew in from Seattle yesterday.
We had a bumpy airplane ride.
Jon had a long day. 
As soon as we checked into the hotel, he had to go check-in at the convention and attend the first session.  Colin Powell was the keynote speaker.
 
Kyle and I walked around and got a little lost, but found our way back to the hotel and located a McDonalds in the hotel food court.  All was right with the world EXCEPT that even
McDonalds only have Pepsi products!  What is wrong with these people?
 
The Luxor Hotel
 
Pyramid Soap...

The view from our room...the back-end of the Sphinx...

The front of the Sphinx....

From the hall outside our room....looking down into the pyramid.

Other side of the view.

Looking up from inside the pyramid....
The ledges are actually the halls that go to guest rooms.
The elevator is actually an incline and instead of going straight up and down....it goes sideways up or down the incline.  It feels pretty weird.

A good stand-by in the food court.

Kyle -- 2 fries.

This view looks out over the Sphinx -- but you
can also see the airport.  When we go camping, he sits in the car.
When we are in the room, he is watching the airport.
Las Vegas isn't where he expected to be when the plane landed and he wants to leave and go see Derek.
 
DAY One

Today, while Jon was at the convention meetings,
Kyle and I went to the
Share Reef Aquarium.
 
Kyle didn't want to cooperate -- He'd seen a sign for Denny's Restaurant and decided that was what we should be doing.  So I plopped him in a wheelchair and we went through the aquarium.
I have to say that it's better than the one in Seattle!

Alligator/Crocodile
I don't remember which one....it was pretty though.

The Komodo Dragon turned and looked at Kyle.

Various fish....

This is kind of blurry -- but it was a big fish, and it swam very quickly...so I was lucky to get even a blurry shot.  There were small sharks in this tank too.

Some of the atmosphere.

This was above us as we walked through a hallway.

Jelly-fish

The huge shark tank -- with big sharks of several varieties,
along with other sea life.

Turtle...with the reflection of the water from above showing its shell.

This big one swam under the floor where we were standing.
 
After
the aquarium we went to look at souvenirs.

Kyle found a Las Vegas Fire Dept. hat
and of course, we had to get it.

Then we went to lunch with Jon at an "Irish Pub".  Kyle had fries, but they had a little bit of parsley on them, and he spent more time trying to get the parsley off, than eating them.
I asked the waitress if she knew where I could go to buy a loaf of bread.
We ran out of bread for Kyle yesterday.  She was so sweet....she gave us a loaf of bread from the restaurant.

Fish and Chips...
It was yummy -- and the biggest piece of fish I've ever seen as fish and chips.
 
The Arcade

Kyle shooting hoops.
 
Jon went back to his meetings and Kyle and I went to the arcade.
We played air hockey...he beat me -- fair and square -- and
he GLOATED!  Little toad.
 
Tournament of Kings

You weren't supposed to use cell phones or cameras...but I snapped this with my phone before the show started.  This is the set of the show.  It was a fun show....
We were seated in sections that were named for countries and each then the "Kings" of the countries had a tournament.  Lots of crowd participation while we ate soup, game hens, broccoli, red potatoes and a roll with our hands.  Kyle didn't eat any of his.....

Coming back to the room....Kyle bought a sword -- and he was sword fighting all the way back to the room.

On-guard!
 
 
All in all we had a fun day.
I walked 12,288 steps today -- which comes out at 5.4 miles!
I think that's pretty darn good.
 
I should mention that Kyle thinks the slot machines look like tons of fun!
Technically -- he's old enough to play --
but we haven't let him.
That is one thing we DON'T need him to be obsessed with.
He has pulled a few handles and then looked quite pleased with himself and showed me his hand...and said, "Whew". 
He waves at each security guard we pass and stops to talk to them too.  They have all been very nice and kind.
 
Not sure how we will ever fill tomorrow!  I think we did everything we have close today.  I'm sure we will come up with something.


No comments:

Post a Comment