Friday, October 25, 2013

After the Flood

Can I just say it?
Apartment living is not all it's cracked up to be!!!
At first, it was kind of an adventure -- but that wore off really quick.
First was the flood...
And the complaining neighbors....who never quit complaining....
and now I'm complaining just like them.
 
Anyway...
after a series of complaints, it was determined by the Leasing Office, that there was one last ditch effort that could be made to get them to stop complaining.
This would entail stabilizing the floor.
Which would require that we be home to move the furniture, while the floor guys cut up the carpet, rolled it back, found the joists and screwed the sub floor to the joists.
After each section was done, we moved the furniture from one place to the next so that the next section could be done.
The first section -- Everything
moved from the kitchen/dining area.

Joe -- drilling the floor

Section 2
Everything moved from the living room back
into the kitchen/dining area.
The carpet is just laid back on the floor
it's not tacked down

Gabe -- cutting a seam in the living room
In all -- twelve seams were cut in the carpet.

Joe drilling the first half of the living room.

Master bath -- they would find the joist,
draw a line and then drill.

Last half of the living room and the last section.
In all we moved the couch six times -- that couch is heavy!
 
It took Gabe and Joe nearly nine hours to finish the entire house.
They had 21 screws left for the last section.
In all they used approx. 700 screws to stabilize the floors.
 
Did it work?
YES!
I was dubious -- I didn't think it could work, but it did.
The floors no longer creak.
 
Do I think the complaints will stop?
NO!
I think they will find something else to complain about.
 
Am I now complaining?
Sounds like it huh?
I feel like I should get to complain!
 
The neighbors were gone the entire day!
We were home, all day, moving furniture, and listening to the drill.
Our furniture was in complete disarray,
the seams in the carpet were annoying....and we were going to get
to move furniture all day the next day too! 
You see, the drillers come, rip up the carpet, do their thing and leave.
The next day (Friday, Oct 25th -- the day I'm writing this) the carpet
and vinyl installers come and we move furniture all day.
Again.
 
But it was for the greater good -- right?
 
Day Two

The stove and fridge were moved out of the kitchen and we moved all of the furniture into the living room while the vinyl was installed.

This is the new vinyl -- nice right?
This went in the kitchen and both bathrooms.
It's an upgrade, I've been told.
 
Anyway -- after the vinyl -- the installers set to work putting seams in the carpet....
...hot gluing the seams down.  And then pounding the carpet back into place.
The neighbor was home today.
As wicked as it seems -- and I did almost feel bad --
I was so glad they were home and I took a little bit of pleasure every time
the carpet guys pounded and dropped things and made noise.
I was secretly hoping that she'd go over and complain at the
Leasing Office.
 
I think more complaints are imminent.
But I'm not going to stress over it anymore.
We have done everything we can to help make their lives better,
and I'm no longer thinking about them.
 
Ahhhh,
the adventure....
Maybe I'm learning something.
I'll think about.
 
On a side-note
Friday, October 25th is:
"Chucky The Notorious Killer Doll Day".
 
Just thought you'd like to know.
 
Thank you for listening to me rant.
It's been a good day.
Jon is ordering pizza,
and our house has been put back together!


No comments:

Post a Comment