Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nine-Eleven

09 ~ 11 ~ 2001
~ We will never forget ~


As we pause to remember, and reflect on the tragedy of this day, we remember with unerring accuracy, exactly what we were doing, and where we were when the heart-stopping news came to us. 


Jon had just left for to catch the bus to work in downtown Seattle.  He was driving to the park and ride and called me.  What he was saying was so inconcievable, that I ran to Derek's room, and switched on the TV......and he and I watched as the first tower collapsed, and then the horror of watching the second tower collapse.  The colossal shock, of all those watching -- there just aren't words to express the feelings of that day. 


I became a "news-junkie".....I couldn't turn away from the TV, from the coverage of the latest developments....and as we watched, as a nation, the horror, and devastation, we began to see the heroism, the compassion, the acts of kindness and tenderness that prevailed in the city of New York.  The first-responders who risked and gave all, to find, help and save any and all they could, we were now eyewitnesses of the good that can come from tragedy. 


My heart is reminded today, as we watch the footage from ten-years ago, as we remember the fallen, the heroic, and the courageous.  Especially the courageous who lost loved ones, and still put one foot in front of the other....and survived.  Not without scars, but somehow to find hope again. 


We will never forget! 



Today, I was reminded of the first-responders, and how they go about, quietly, making our lives better.  We had Stake Conference today, and our Stake President made a few comments about September 11th.  He quoted from comments that President Monson blogged on the Washington Post blog, when they asked the question, "What are the spiritual lessons of 09 - 11?"   And then he (our Stake President) said, "Our flag should be flying at half-mast today.  But the pulley at the top of the flagpole is broken, and so, unless we can find someone to shimmy up the pole, we will just be happy that we can fly the flag."  That was it....that's all he said.....then he sat down, and we watched the broadcast from Salt Lake City, along with all the Stakes in Washington and Alaska.

When Conference was over and Kyle and I hurried to the car to avoid the traffic getting out of the parking lot, there was a fire truck......to be specific, one of the ladder trucks, and at the top of the ladder was a firefighter -- a first-responder -- fixing the pulley at the top of the flagpole -- and our flag was able to be flown at half-mast.  I wish that I'd had time to snap a photo, but I didn't.  I don't know who called and explained the dilemma of our flag pole, but they responded and fixed it.



This small act of service, quiet, and mostly unseen and unrecognized reminded me of the sacrifices of the men and women who serve us as servicemen in the armed forces (of which we have several family members), fire fighters and police officers, who put their lives at risk to help ensure our safety and freedom.  Are there words that adequately express how indebted we are to them for their sacrifices, and the sacrifice of their families while they serve?  I can't find the words -- but gratitude and awe fill my heart. 
May God bless and keep them safe -- one and all,
and may we never forget the lessons we learned, of courage, strength and resiliency amidst tragedy.


We will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment