Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Memorial Day

Memorial Day
Memorial Day -- the day that we remember those who gave their lives for our freedom. We revere their sacrifice and remember them, hopefully, with the sacredness and ceremony their sacrifice deserves.

Most times we visit the resting places of our loved ones who have gone before us and enjoy the companionship of family and friends who surround us.


We have enjoyed making and discovering new traditions in the time that we've been in Washington. We are not geographically close to either of our families, and aren't always able to travel to be with them on this day. One of our cherished traditions is a Memorial Day Bar-b-que with our friends. One of my friends, Laura Price, gave me a plate for my birthday last year it reads:


"Friends are the family we choose for ourselves."


We have an awesome family of friends who surround us, uplift us, and support us in the absence of our biological families, and hopefully, we do the same for them. Following are photo's of our Bar-b-que and our family of friends.
Kyle


A Gaggle of Girls
Loretta Porter, Ronna Saunders, Mary Ann Dours, Susan Skinner, Erin Aguirre
(left to right)
Susan and Erin
Loretta, Ronna, Mary Ann
Derrek Smith, Scott, Sunny Casanova

Scott Buchanan, Marjorie Buchanan, Richard Dudley, Meghan Buchanan

JoAnne Dudley, Brenda Wilkinson, Loretta Porter
Sam Aguirre
Laura Price
Brad Price and Kyle
Rachel Aguirre
"Robo-Joe" -- Joe Aguirre

Sunny Casanova and Scott -- See that smile? It does happen on occasion when I can capture it for all to see.

JoAnne Dudley, Ammon, Sam, LA, Rachel Aguirre, Brenda Wilkinson
Erin Aguirre
Mary Ann Dours -- who graciously dubbed me an "Honorary Granny" so that I could join the Granny's Group luncheons. I love it!Marjorie Buchanan and Brenda Wilkinson
Loretta Porter and Susan Skinner
JoAnne Dudley
Brenda Wilkinson and Susan Skinner
John Porter and Ray Skinner
Meghan and Marjorie Buchanan

We love to have people over and to eat copious amounts of food and visit. It's one of our favorite things to do. I also like to take pictures of the event and while I catch MUCH FLACK from many -- okay, MOST -- people, I found a quote that explains why I like to take photos. It says:

"Most people use cameras to record good times spent with family and friends. To capture moments that can be re-lived in memory for a lifetime. The kind of moments that make life worth living."

So there you have it.....while it may be annoying -- not many people enjoy having their photo taken -- and I am among that number, although I am trying to change and not worry about the photos, but live in and enjoy the moments I have with those who mean the most to me. Thank you to all who good-naturedly submit to having their photo's taken and for allowing me to share them.....because really, I'm sharing my memories and the moments that make my life sweet and worth living.

I am blessed with the most fantastic family! The one I was born in to, the one I married in to, and the one we've created with those who tolerate, support, accept and love us. To all of you, I express my gratitude and leave you with this last thought....

Love you the MOST!

No comments:

Post a Comment