We had Derek, Ashlyn and Jake come to visit us the first week of August.
For those of you who don't know Ashlyn and Jake, Ashlyn is the only niece on my side of the family! The lone girl in a pack of 12 boys, Jake is her husband....so I guess now I have to say, in a pack of 13 boys!
We had a great time! Derek's visit was supposed to be a surprise, but it ended up that the only one who didn't know, was Kyle. We were all anxious to see his reaction to seeing Derek.
There was a "knock-knock" on the door. Kyle went to answer it. Ashlyn came in first and Kyle said, "Ashlyn" and gave her a hug. Derek came next, his face lit-up, he said, "Yeck" (which interpreted is Derek), gave him a hug and went back to play his video game. He didn't give Jake the time of day. All was right in his world! Derek was home and he felt fine.
We did a bunch of things during this week -- and as usual I took many photo's and while I've tried to narrow them down, I just can't seem to only use one or two, when twenty (or more) does a better job telling and showing the story.....
We had a hot dog roast in the fire pit in the back yard, and Sunny brought a dozen cupcakes which we cut up so everyone could sample all of them.
Enjoying the fire....
Woodland Park Zoo
Yes, it's true -- the zoo is one of our favorite places to take visitors! We have a great zoo....I've tried to not use too many photo's of the animals (except the human kind), but there are a few.
Kyle enjoying being the center of attention!
Waiting for Jon to find the ATM so we can ride the Carousel. Kyle is looking longingly at the only attraction at the zoo he really likes! Now lest you worry -- Kyle is only using a wheelchair to make it easier for him, and more enjoyable for everyone. When he gets tired.....he just quits, this helps!
Waiting, waiting, waiting.....
Looking for the best horse....
Oh the fun to be had on a carousel!
Then we thought it would be fun to have a picture in the photo booth.....this is everyone trying to squeeze in -- Derek can not be seen, even in these pics I took -- and the one that the machine took -- only showed 2 of them......it was a worthy effort.
The bear den is one of our favorite parts of the zoo! And on occasion you get to see them in the "pond" -- it happens that this day, they were wrestling -- right up against the glass. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get an usable photo's because I was back in the crowd, but these came out pretty well.
On the way up the trail from the bear den, are the wolves, and a wolf den that kids can crawl in -- so the "kids" waited their turns and then we took some photo's in the wolf den.
Jake dubbed this "The Love Den"
Top -- the boys today -- Kyle wouldn't participate
Bottom -- The boys the first time we ever visited the zoo -- 2001
I love this photo -- it's one I boosted from Sunny -- but she was right down at eye level, while I was standing back a bit.....Look at those smiles!
We got a "snack" at the grill -- we had planned to be at the zoo early and then go to Dick's Drive In (okay, go ahead. Make your jokes.....goodness knows all the boys did....but it's a Seattle icon), but we got a later start than we planned...so this had to suffice.
Waiting....waiting....waiting....
....for Jon, who had the day off, to take care of a couple of problems that cropped up at work.
This is how he vacations -- always -- but so grateful he has a job!
Derek giving Jake a piggy-back ride....
The monkeys -- again, we waited for the sculpture to be free...
Kyle, Ashlyn,, Derek, Sunny, Scott, Jake
The hippos made an appearance today....
We all had sooo much fun -- just being together was awesome!
Ashlyn, Jake and Derek in a little hut in the African Village
There must always be dancing in the African Village!
This is in "kiddie" land --
--Jake is inside a "turtle shell"
Derek and Scott on top of the shell.
Slikk on the slide....whee.....
"......sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G....."
Not in the tree -- but still....
Derek, Sunny, Scott
The trouble with wheelchairs is......
....big brothers, kick little brothers out and try to make hairpin turns....and then....
off comes the tire.....heeheehee.....glad it went back on too.
Said the Spider to the Flies....
Just before we left the zoo we stopped at the gift shop -- each grabbed a mask to try on...here you go....my "animals" each of which I love more than words can say!













No comments:
Post a Comment