Thursday, March 24, 2011

Words

Words -- aren't words the most amazing things?  Aren't you thankful that you can read? 

You take these little symbols, put them together and they form words -- words have meaning, words convey emotion, and conjur images in our heads, they pique our interest and fire our imagination.  I'm amazed at the ability some people have to put words together in poetry, or novels, and I especially love the scriptures and the language of the scriptures. 

When I was in the mission field, I had a companion who help me catch the "quote-bug".  She found quotes in the most amazing places, and taught me to do the same -- some are just funny, some are profound -- I love them all.  While we were companions, Kimmie, and I -- at the time she was "Sister Johnstun" -- but now she's Kimmie, we learned the power of the written word in an experience with "Sister Deem".  I won't expound on the entire incident, except to say that Sister Deem was not happy with us, the Sister Missionaries.  She sort of, accosted, us in the hallway at the church, pulled us into a room and proceeded to give us a dressing down.  I stood, staring in amazement, as Kimmie calmly and carefully traversed the mine-field of criticism and anger.  She didn't take responsibility that wasn't hers, but she was kind.  Sister Deem made a statement that has remained with both of us through the ensuing 25 years, and that I will remember always, she said, "Words once written have a life of their own."

What does that mean?  I've thought about it alot over the years, and I know it to be true.  Once you put something in writing, it is no longer yours to control.  Others have the power to interpret and decide meaning on their own, independent of your thoughts, your feelings, or the meaning you wished convey. 

Words have power.  Words can comfort, soothe, lift, strengthen, teach, hurt, change, evoke emotion, and we should take care with the words we write and speak.  To that end, let me share a couple of my favorite quotes, thoughts, and such....some have impacted me for a long time, others are just great sayings....

"When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty." 

"Some folks are long winded when a small breeze would do just fine."  ~Noah Dearborn

"One door closes, another door opens -- but it's hell in the hallway!" ~Unknown

"A little maple tree in the swamp heard the cricket song and turned bright red with anxiety." ~EB White, Charlotte's Web, pg 114 -- love that imagery!

"Worry is like a rocking chair....it will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere." ~Mick Henline

"Because my eyes are free from tears, do not consider that my heart is the same." ~Blaine and Brenton Yorgason, Ride the Laughing Wind, pg 198

"...come unto the Holy One of Isreael, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness."  ~2 Nephi 9:51  --love the imagery of this too.

"Words once written have a life of their own."  ~Sister Deem

The written word does have a "life of its own" -- I love words and I'm so very grateful for those who can put words together in meaningful ways, and who share their skills by writing.  It takes courage to share the things you've written, for the very reason, that they are no longer yours -- some day, I may be courageous enough to share some of my poems....but until then, I'll just keep sharing happenings, photo's, and things that touch my heart.

1 comment:

  1. You are one who (or is it whom? I've never known when to use that word) can put words into meaningful sentences! You ALWAYS uplift and inspire me. I think you should share your poems with us NOW! You're so eloquent. I LOOOOVE reading your writings!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete