I have never enjoyed rollercoasters! When I was little, I was too short to go on the big, white, wooden rollercoaster at Lagoon (an amusement park in Farmington, Utah). It didn't bother me much that I couldn't go on the ride, because it scared me spitless! Just looking at the thing was daunting. Steep climbs to the top of very high hills, stunning drops that made my stomach roll just looking at it....and not just one climb and drop, but lots of climbs and drops! Add to that speed, people holding their arms in the air -- what WERE they thinking? They could fly out of the car at any moment!!!! and you have one very content person, watching from the ground as crazy people put their lives on the line for a thrill.
I have come to understand that there is a difference between adventure and thrill-seeking.
As the definition at the beginning of this blog states...."Real adventure lifts your heart, opens your mind, and makes you catch your breath." You don't always get all three of those things with every adventure, but I've learned, that you don't always have to go looking for adventure -- it has a way of finding you, whether you like it or not! It's called Life -- and in life you don't get to always choose your adventure.
Thrill-seeking -- such as riding the blasted rollercoaster -- can also be an adventure, to me, it's not an adventure, it's just scary. I don't like the coasters where your feet dangle, you go upside down, you run on rails doing corkscrews, etc. I'm a wimp -- and I'm okay with that.
I also don't like suspensful movies until I've seen them once -- so I know what's going to happen. I don't read a book if it doesn't end well -- that's right, I read the end of the book first! If it doesn't end well, then why waste my time reading it? I don't like mysteries because I have to skip ahead and then come back to read -- I just don't like not knowing what's going to happen! Does this take the adventure out of it? Many would say, "Yes".....but I don't think it does.
To that end -- another adventure -- or should I say a re-occurring adventure, is coming our way. I say adventure, because once again we are catching our breath, opening our minds to things we can learn, and lifting our hearts to God, for understanding, strength and healing.
A month ago, I posted the results of Kyle's CT scan -- no new bone growth -- YAY!
Saturday, February 12th, Kyle began noticeably limping.
By Wednesday, February 16th he was waddling.
On Friday, February 18th, the Orthopedic surgeon said, "I'll see you on Tuesday the 22nd". He watched Kyle walk, and Jon, who was watching Dr. Song's reaction said, "His face registered surprise and concern." There is a noticable difference in his gait in three weeks time. So much for our 6 month hiatus of doctors. Now lest you think I'm complaining -- I'm not! I called, and they double booked us to see the doctor 3 days later. Dr. Song said to us, "With Kyle, anything out of the ordinary is a cause for concern." To that end, Kyle will have an MRI of the c-spine (neck) and brain on March 1st and we will see the doctor on the 2nd.
What are they looking for? The MRI will show if there is compression to the spinal cord -- this would likely be scar tissue. If there is no compression, then the scan of the brain will determine if there are other neurological issues present. What are the options? Well -- that we don't know yet -- we'll know more in a few days. Do they make zippers for chronic surgical sites? It would be much easier, if the problems continue to re-occur every three to six months....easier for the surgeons, and easier on this boy -- who just doesn't complain, but keeps moving forward.
So, what do rollercoasters have to do with this latest adventure? Well, I've done some thinking on this, and I've come up with -- if you knew the adventures you were going to face, before you were required to face them, you could easily become paralyzed by fear. You could look at the steep climbs and stunning drops and give up, believing that you could never conquer, believing that the thrill of the ride is too much of a risk. You would never believe that your faith was sufficient to pull you thru, you could refuse to seek strength and courage from God. You might begin to disbelieve in miracles. Life is all about the climbs and drops -- we are never required to face them alone -- the Father of us all, and His Son, Jesus Christ, are there to lift, bless, comfort and strengthen us as we seek their Spirit through prayer.
I have actually ridden the big, white, wooden rollercoaster at Lagoon -- and lived to tell the tale! I was screaming all the way. The best part of that ride? Not standing in line, in dread and anticipation. Not the climbs and drops. The best part of the ride, for me, was coming safely back onto the platform at the end of the ride. This is what prayer and faith do for me -- I know that through the climbs and drops, the tight turns and "screaming all the way", we will be okay and arrive safely on the other side of this adventure -- no matter what this adventure brings.....
For all of us -- thrill-seeker or adventurer -- here's hoping you....
ENJOY THE RIDE





OH.MY.GOSH. Ronna, this is so eloquently said! You are THE BEST writer! If I ever have to give a talk in sacrament meeting, I'm using THIS!!!!!! This is definitely something I needed to read. I'm so grateful for good people like you in my life that the Lord uses to answer MY prayers! I am truly blessed. It's so easy to get caught up in the climbs and drops, the twists and turns, that we forget to enjoy the ride. I admire the strength and courage you have to face these challenges with unfaltering faith and happiness. You are an amazing woman!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE YOU MOSTEST! Thank you for being such a wonderful example to me.