Bits and Pieces
Here I thought I hadn't written anything since Halloween! Oh what a happy surprise that I'm up to almost Christmas. I'm especially happy, since our computer died shortly after Christmas and all of my pictures were on that computer! I know, I know -- back-things-up -- and I did.....just not since September.....so my photo's are held hostage until I can figure out some way to retrieve them.
So, Scott and Sunny moved into their cute, little apartment and are loving being there.....Dexter is as tall as the counter now, and it's not hard for him to snatch the butter -- and yes, HE LOVES BUTTER! Just like the rest of us. We are loving that dog, and loving that he doesn't live here!
CHRISTMAS
Derek came for Christmas -- he arrived on December 20th and stayed until the 29th! We had a great visit with him and an awesome Christmas! Although, my photo's are hostage....I didn't take too many of Christmas.....don't know why, I just enjoyed the season!
New Years
We had a New Years Eve party, as usual, but didn't invite too many people, and it was fun, but quiet!
Unempolyed
Jon's last day with Univar, INC, was 30th of December 2011. When asked why he left, the short answer is....a mutual parting of the ways. He couldn't stand his boss, and his new boss couldn't stand him....so it was beneficial for Jon and all of our mental health, for him to be out of that circumstance. He took three weeks off, and has been consulting for PMC Treasury. He is helping to set up the treasury operations for a company that was spun-off by their "parent-organization" and they don't have any treasury, accounting, or any other administrative processes in place. This could go for 45 to 60 days at first estimation, but, could also go longer. Jon is still looking for permanent employment.
Scott's location of Blockbuster is closing at the end of February and he is looking for work too.
New Doctors
Kyle's orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Kit Song, has moved to California -- we are very sad! It's difficult to give up familiarity, and history for new doctors. Kyle's neuro-surgeon is still at the University of Washington, but no longer at Children's, because he consulted on cases with Dr. Song. So in January, we met the doctors at Children's who will be taking over Kyle's care. Dr. Wally Krengle, is the new ortho. Dr. Sam Browd, is the new neuro. Dr. Browd was actually part of the care team that did Kyle's first surgery, and so we have met him, but not been followed by him. The visit went well, and I liked both of these doctors and think we will have the continutation of amazing care.
We saw the Hematology/Oncology (Hem/Onc) team -- and they are ready to transition Kyle out of their clinic because he doesn't need their services! HOORAY! The nutritionist we see is with that clinic though, so she will help us find a good fit for continued care. Kyle's BOOST intake has also been changed. He is now on High Protein, which has a higher protein content, but fewer calories.....60 lbs in one year, is more than enough "make-up" growth, and now we need to plateau and maintain.
Jon finally went back for a diabetes check, and I think the nurse manager just about fell off her chair when Jon said "I've tested randomly....four times since May). He is now testing every morning.
I went to the doctor for a sinus infection in January and just about fainted when I got on the scale and had gained 7 lbs in 6 weeks! YIKES -- doesn't even begin to cover my dismay! I guess 2 batches of chex mix will do that to you! Needless to say -- I am now counting calories and using Sparkpeople.com to help me track everything.
Transitions
Transition = Change
Change is hard for me.
Kyle is beginning the "School-to-Life" transitions -- which mean job training, moving on and not having the safety net of school anymore. He has 3 more years, but that will go by too quickly, and I'm not sure I'm ready for all the changes. Beyond the changes with school, come the changes with doctors and dentists who want to "transition" him to adult care providers, moving on from school to a job, transportation, and all of the changes that naturally occur when you leave school....only magnified by 10 or 20 times.
Perhaps, I'm making too big a deal out of this, but I'm not ready! I remember the transition from early intervention to pre-school.....I followed that bus to school everyday for a WEEK to make sure they got my little three-year-old to school safely. Ridiculous? Probably. But it seemed difficult at the time -- this transition feels difficult too.....so will I be ridiculous? Probably.
I will get through this.....
So there you have it -- a few bits and pieces of what's been going on....





No comments:
Post a Comment