Friday, February 17, 2012

Assessments and IEP's

This is an assessment year. 
Every three years it is required, by law, that Kyle have an assessment to determine if he still qualify's for Special Education Services. 

What does this entail?  Well, I fill out a bunch of questionairres, and forms, and so does his teacher.  Then the school psychologist administers tests to Kyle to see what his cognitive abilities are, how he's progressing, and then she writes a big report compiling all of the information. 

Is the assessment helpful?  Well, every three years they tell me he has Down syndrome, and that he still qualifies for services.  Often times they tell me how "low-functioning" he is, and how the reports will reflect this.  Then I am assured that the "negative" reports are good because then he will continue to get lots of services. 

Here's where it gets tricky -- how am I supposed to feel about that? 
On the one hand, I see the benefit of the portrayal.....on the other hand, it's a little bit painful, because I don't see him as "low-functioning" -- he is who he is and he's awesome

So the assessment is done -- and the report is a "good-one" for social benefits in the coming months when he turns 18.....

Next we turned to the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) and it went smoothly.  I haven't had a difficult IEP since we moved to Washington.  It's refreshing.  We have a good plan in place to get him through the next year, beginning to transition to the Transition Center where he will have job training and life skills training.  I sometimes worry about all that he's missed.....in the past 4 school years, Kyle has missed 2 1/2 because of his health.  That's a lot of time, he's lost a lot of independence and re-gaining it is taking time....time he's running out of in this season of life.  I'm sure it will all work out, and happen for his good.  The plan is good and solid and we will be happy to see it through....and he will be happy to be in school!  

No comments:

Post a Comment