Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Five Years

Five Years ago today, December 11th, we took Kyle to Seattle Children's hospital and found out that he had a fractured neck.  It's been bumpy at times since then, but we are so blessed!
 
I have thought, as this anniversary looms, about what I learned from this experience...
 
I had the experience of watching Kyle suffer, and knowing that what he had to do, I couldn't do for him.  I could be there, and hold his hand and love him, but I couldn't take away the experience and I couldn't do it for him, or make it better. 
 
I've thought about that experience, that it is the smallest glimpse of what the Father, must have felt as He watched His Son, Jesus Christ.  Watched Him suffer, watched Him carry every burden, pay for every sin, and had to watch, knowing that He, the Father, could not do it for Christ.  He couldn't take away the experience, and He couldn't do it for Him, and although He (the Father) had the power to end it, knowing that if He did, He would lose the rest of His children. 
 
What love, for us!  To allow and watch His Son suffer, for things He didn't do...to ensure that we could find our way back home.  And what of Christ?  The love He had for us, to pay the price and to finish the task alone.  While we were there for Kyle, at the end, even the Father withdrew, and Christ finished His task alone.  The courage, the resolve and the love that Christ has for each of us!  What a comfort to know, that regardless of what we face, we never have to face it alone, because, if we invite Him, Christ will be there with us -- He alone, truly understands our weakness, our heartache, and every other thing we face.
 
At this Christmas time, I thank God for the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ! 
I thank Christ for His gift of the atonement. 
 
And I thank them, for the gift of the life of our Kyle.  He came home on Christmas day, five years ago, and he has been a miracle every day since then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment